TOXIC BLACK MOLD
Mold is a dangerous
environmental health predator
of humans, animals, & plants.
MOLD PROBLEM SUMMARY OVERVIEW:
"Molds are microscopic fungi that comprise 25% of the earth's biomass.
They can be found almost anywhere and can grow on virtually any organic
substance as long as moisture and oxygen are present. Molds can grow on
wood, paper, carpet, foods, and insulation. Moisture encourages mold
growth. People who are allergic to mold or whose asthma is triggered by
mold usually react to the spores, the reproductive bodies for molds. The
process by which these spores are released into the air becomes
intensified when moldy material is damaged or disturbed. Sometimes mold
can produce a toxic substance called mycotoxins, which also can cause
illness in sensitive populations, especially those with substantial
exposures, such as agricultural workers. It is impossible to eliminate all
mold and mold spores in the indoor environment. However, mold growth can
be controlled indoors by controlling moisture. Many types of molds exist
and they all have the potential to cause health effects. Molds produce
allergens that can trigger allergic reactions or asthma attacks. Health
concerns are an important reason to prevent mold growth and to
remedy/clean up any existing indoor mold growth. The range of symptoms of
overexposure to mold include cough, congestion, runny nose, eye
irritation, and asthma symptoms. As is true of all
environmentally-related illnesses, the sensitivity and vulnerability of
the person will dictate the level of response to any given exposure."--American
Airborne mold spores spread
mold-based infectious mold-related diseases like asthma, chronic
sinusitis, & aspergilliosis. Stachybotrys
atra mold can cause nervous system symptoms, such as personality
changes, sleep disorders and memory loss.
Mold term definitions.
Bleach does NOT kill mold on porous surfaces such as wood and
other building materials.
"While bleach is often recommended for remediation of surface mold on
wood, our [university research study] results illustrate that the
treatment does not eliminate the surface microflora,"
is the conclusion of the Oregon State University study of the effects of
chlorine bleach on mold growth on Douglas fir wood [an important timber
crop in the state of Oregon]. The research study was conducted by
Professor Jeffrey Morrell, Dept. of Wood Science, Oregon State University,
as assisted by Adam Taylor [graduate research assistant] and Camille
Freitag [Senior Research Associate], Forest Products Journal, 54:4,
Mold Home Remedy Recipes.
"We were able to find sufficient evidence that certain respiratory
problems, including symptoms in asthmatics who are sensitive to mold, are
associated with exposure to mold and damp conditions. Excessive dampness
influences whether mold, as well as bacteria, dust mites and other such
agents, are present and thrive indoors, the committee noted. In addition,
the wetness may cause chemicals and particles to be released from building
materials. A rare ailment known as hypersensitivity pneumonitis also was
associated with indoor mold exposure in susceptible people," as reported
in the almost 300 page
report by the
Medicine [division of U.S. Government's
National Academy of Sciences],
Tuesday, May 25, 2004. The study was financed by the U.S. Government's
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Just a few hours of unprotected exposure to elevated levels
of airborne mold spores can start mold growing inside one's body, and then
possibly require medical intervention to cleanse the body of internal mold
Sample indoor mold spores with our
mold test kits
Certified Mold Inspector. Read about
Selling or Buying a Moldy Home.
"All molds have the
potential to cause health effects. Molds can produce allergens that
can trigger allergic reactions or even asthma attacks in people allergic
to mold. Others are known to produce potent toxins and/or irritants.
Potential health concerns are an important reason." The
March, 2001. The EPA
warns people that "Most people are aware that outdoor air pollution can
damage their health but may not know that indoor air pollution can also
have significant effects. EPA studies of human exposure to air pollutants
indicate that indoor air levels of many pollutants may be 2-5 times, and
occasion more than 100 times, higher than outdoor levels. These levels of
indoor air pollutants are of particular concern because it is estimated
that most people spend as much as 90% of their time indoors. In recent
years, comparative risk studies performed by EPA and its Science Advisory
Board (SAB) have consistently ranked indoor air pollution among the top
five environmental risks to public health." Ninety four percent (94%) of
respiratory ailments are caused by polluted air according to
the American Medical Association, which also reported that
one-third of our national health bill is for causes directly attributable
to indoor air pollution.
Mold fungus spores
are very small in size and can
easily enter the human body by breathing [nose and mouth], eating mold
spores [often contained IN food and from landing ON food], drinking mold
infested water, entry through one's eyes, entry through open skin cuts and
sores, and sometimes skin absorption through skin pores. According to the
U.S. Food and Drug Administration [FDA], "Most
moldy foods should be thrown out. But you might be able to save molding
hard cheeses, salami, and firm fruits and vegetables if you cut out not
only the mold but a large area around it. Cutting the larger area around
the mold is important because much of the mold growth is below the surface
of the food."
now learn and be certified as a
Mould Inspector or
Certified Mould Remediator by completing our distance learning Study
Mould at Home!
[Home] [Mold Book] [Mold In Home] [Mold Killer]